Window Transparency without Compositing Manager

Amar M. Balutkar amar.balutkar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 20:54:14 PDT 2008

Corbin Simpson wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> coldfire wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, that would be great. You sure can post it anywhere (or as an attachment
>>> if its an option).
>>>
>> I think the thing that's confused everyone here is the whole "I do not
>> want to use a compositing manager" stance.... but what this has now
>> boiled down to is "I want to write my own cut down compositing manager".
>> Which ever way you look at it, you'll be "using a compositing manager"
>> even if you have it internally.
>>
>> Please keep in mind that you should ensure your app plays nice if
>> another compositing manager is already running.
>>

> This. You may want to look very carefully at Konsole, which is
> transparent but relies on the currently running compositing manager to
> make the transparency happen.
>
> In my (admittedly naive) opinion, it shouldn't be up to apps to decide
> how compositing is performed, but up to the window manager/desktop
> environment. Don't be surprised if the compiz guys put an entry in the
> Workarounds plugin for your app.
>
> ~ C.
>
> - --
> ~ Corbin Simpson
> <MostAwesomeDude at gmail.com>
Just being curious, assuming i am using gtk+, then i can use
gtk_window_set_opacity() to set the opacity of a window (which has to be
interpreted by composite manager). But this opacity will be window
level, i.e applicable for all widgets contained by that window. So how
can i have transparency defined for few widgets of my application, and
have few widgets completely opaque ? For example, can we have an entry
widget completely transparent (so that the application at the back is
visible), and type text on it which is opaque? (i know we can have this,
but i dont know if composite mgr does this job, or we use cairo to have
such effect).
TIA.

Regards,
Amar