Xorg Version numbers

John Ettedgui john.ettedgui at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:23:47 PDT 2008

Xorg is the 'big' project and 7.3 is its current stable version.

1.4.2 and such is likely to be the xserver's version. The xserver is
part of Xorg but is not Xorg as a whole.
Each part (or component of Xorg) has it own version, but it is true
that it is not very clear (espacialy things like xserver 1.4 for Xorg
7.3, and xserver 1.5 for Xorg 7.4).