A few questions about integrated graphics

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:05:33 PDT 2008

On 18/08/2008, Chris Pemberton <cjpembo.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>  4.  Any mesa/intel xorg driver code "optimized" for 64-bit, CPU cache
>  size, multiple cores, etc...?
>
>  5.  Some software (I think mplayer is one and most certainly ATLAS)
>  ignore your compiler settings and create optimized code automagically.
>  Anything I can do when compiling xorg/intel/mesa drivers to improve the
>  performance?

AFAIK, graphics chips don't understand x86 intructions nor x86_64
though they have registers where you put commands and/or a command
buffer. But these commands are issued dinamically by the graphics
driver and not by your compiler so there isn't much gcc can do aside
from generating more efficient driver code (the one that actually runs
on your CPU and issues those commands).

I think there is work going on about using more dynamic "graphics
commands synthesizers" like LLVM in graphics drivers[1].

Rui

[1] http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2007/05/mesa-and-llvm.html