Xorg Now GPL??

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Wed Aug 27 10:14:08 PDT 2008

vehemens wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 09:53:05 pm Dave Airlie wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:43 PM, vehemens <vehemens at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> After reading what's been happening on dri-devel, I have to ask if the
>>> plan is to GPL a major component of the xserver?
>> where'd you learn to read?
>>
>> Dave.
>
> Using constructs such as idr that are GPL, effectively makes the driver GPL,
> per your email:
>
> List:       dri-devel
> Subject:    Re: DRM development process wiki page..
> From:       "Dave Airlie" <airlied () gmail ! com>
> Date:       2008-08-27 3:35:40
> However I am sure that we will see more of a push towards using Linux
> constructs in dri drivers, things like
> idr, list.h, locking constructs are too much of a pain to reinvent for
> every driver..

Actually, the dri is the only place in the whole Xorg build where the makefile
(in dri, actually, the Makefile.template) where the makefile has been made so
that it's not able to work with non-GNU Make's.  I can build all of the rest of
xorg with the FreeBSD make, but not dri.  Youd want to look at their
Makefile.template to see what I mean.

Unhappily, it sort of highlights some things that are portability-busters,
between FreeBSD's and Linux's makes.  Writing the makefile for the FreeBSD make
is easy, but making it work equaly well both places, well, you'd need some work
with the automake. to get portability (otherwise, I'd have given a patch to you,
but I've never figured out the autoconf or automake stuff).