xorg.conf disabling keyboard

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Aug 28 00:13:18 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:14:13PM -0700, tongke xue wrote:
>      So I have a laptop and akinesis ergo keyboard; and I want to put the
>    kinesis keyboard right on the laptop keyboard, and code away. Problem
>    is that sometimes, my kinesis keyboard accidently hits keys on the
>    underlying keyboard. Using xinput list, I can see that X knows that
>    these are two separate sources;

actually, it doesn't.

>    "Virtual core keyboard"    id=0    [XKeyboard]

this keyboard is server-internal and does not represent a physical keyboard.

>    "Generic Keyboard"    id=2    [XExtensionKeyboard]

this keyboard represents both physical devices.

> how can in in xorg.conf tell xorg to only listen to my kinesis keyboard and
> ignore my laptop's bilt in keyboard?

use HAL to configure the actual keyboard devices, or configure them manually
in your xorg.conf using the evdev driver. then you can enable/disable them at
runtime with XChangeDeviceControl.

as long as you are using kbd, all physical devices will appear as one device
to the server.

Cheers,
  Peter