xserver on OpenGL

Kendall Bennett KendallB@scitechsoft.com
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:42:58 -0800

Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is working being done on this? Everyone has been so quiet since
> Thanksgiving.

I am busy getting the GPL version of our DDK out the door, but will soon
be back onto the OpenGL in SNAP project and would hope we can get an
Xserver driver going based on SNAP soon. Then it will be real easy to
make it work using OpenGL too.

> I'm still plugging away at extracting the mode setting code from
> X. I actually got it to set a mode last night. It still needs a
> huge amount of cleanup to remove all of the X dependencies that I
> have stubbed out.
>
> I still can't believe it takes over 100K of code to do mode
> setting. xserver is only 680K. But most of the mode setting code
> does appear to be necessary.

It should not take that much code - this is probably just code bloat. The
SciTech SNAP driver for the ATI Radeon family supports all Radeon
chipsets and includes full 2D acceleration code and is only 140K. Still,
supporting all the combinations you need to support for a full fledged
driver does take up space. A stripped down Radeon driver that just did
basic mode sets could probably live in a 20K module, but then it would
have a pretty limited feature set and no hardware acceleration ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~