xserver on OpenGL

Kendall Bennett KendallB@scitechsoft.com
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:12:50 -0800

Otto Solares <solca@guug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 04:42:58PM -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> > Keith Whitwell <keith@tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> >
> > > But right now, there are choices between various not-quite-perfect
> > > alternatives:
> > >
> > > 2) Duplicate one of the kdrive servers, but target one of the
> > > embedded or linux-solo GL platforms.  This means we do without
> > > pbuffers, and whoever runs this has to get linux-solo up and
> > > running as well as X.
> >
> > My offer still stands to help work on this using the SciTech SNAP driver
> > architecture. We already have a complete OpenGL driver architecture
> > working on Linux console modes independantly of X (software right now,
> > but we are working on bringing up the Radeon hw driver based on the DRI
> > code). It would be real easy to add pbuffer support to our
> > implementation, but it would not really be necessary until you need to
> > use an offscreen buffer as a texture surface for a blending operation.
>
> Does your API handles mode settings? via EDID/fixed info? outside X.

Yes on all counts. You can even create custom display modes that show up
in the mode list if you wish, and the CRTC timings are automatically
created based on the VESA GTF formula. It is also possible to use fixed
CRTC timings for fixed frequency monitors, but you need to do a bit of
hacking to make that work (some of our users wrote their own tools to
modify our CRTC database to make this work ;-).

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~