xserver on OpenGL

Jon Smirl jonsmirl@yahoo.com
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:13:29 -0800 (PST)

It's going to take Brian, Keithw and myself another month or two to get a full
standalone OpenGL running. We are missing two major pieces of code, pbuffers and
mode support. Mode support means I need to get VM86 running and support Int10
VBIOS calls.

By building the scaffolding on the existing proprietary pbuffers and DRI we can
do the work in parallel. The key here is that by using the existing X server
both tasks to be worked on simultaneously.

I would really hate to spend two months extracting the mode code and Int10
support out of X and then find out the xserver can't run on top of it becuase of
some technical problem we haven't forseen. Adding framebuffer support will add
even more time to the OpenGL work before the xserver work can be started.

--- Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> wrote:

> Around 13 o'clock on Dec 5, Jon Smirl wrote:
>
> > Can you simulate a framebuffer environment on X/DRI by wrapping an existing
> > API? It wouldn't matter how slow it is since the ultimate goal would be to
> > remove it.
>
> Sure, given sufficient time.  The hard part is not knowing when to fetch
> and put pixels, but in computing a reasonably small constraint on the area
> affected by operations.  With the new Damage infrastructure, that might
> even be reasonably easy to implement.  Without this optimization,
> performance of the resulting system will be abysmal as each operation
> fetches the entire destination...
>
> But, a useless X server is not what I'm after here.  My short term goal is
> an X server with very little acceleration implemented using OpenGL and the
> bulk of the rendering code running with the frame buffer.  That way I can
> *use* the X server while working on the OpenGL optimizations, instead of
> just playing with it.
>
> While my long term goal is to move to a complete OpenGL backend, I don't
> know how long that will take, and I've got a lot of other work to do in
> the meantime.  And, I need a functional X server for that.
>
> I think the issue we keep skirting is where it will be easier to hack in
> this transient code. For me, it's obviously less work if the kludges are
> in OpenGL, while for you it's obviously easier to push work into the X
> server.  In either case, there will be some scaffolding code written that
> we expect to throw away, which seems like a waste of time to both of us.
>
> I guess my two arguments are:
>
>  1)	I'm not likely to start a pure OpenGL X server in the next few
> 	months.  I would gladly jump to help such an implementation if
> 	others had the time and energy to get it working well enough for
> 	daily use.
>
>  2)	Mapping the frame buffer provides a system with usable performance
> 	immediately; we know what dumb frame buffers are capable of, and
> 	with only a tiny amount of acceleration they're quite usable 2D
> 	environments.
>
> From your perspective, I see two strong counter arguments:
>
>  1)	It's a horrible, unnatural kludge (probably prohibited by law
> 	in many states).
>
>  2)	An X server not using this can use *any* existing OpenGL
> 	implementation, including the nVidia and ATI binary drivers
> 	for output.
>

> -keith

=====
Jon Smirl