xserver on OpenGL

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:05:18 -0800

Around 18 o'clock on Dec 5, "Kendall Bennett" wrote:

> What do you mean by "real" real-mode? The only options you have are
> virtual 86 mode or an x86 emulator. You cannot put the CPU into real mode
> unless you want the entire kernel to come to a screeching halt.

Yes, precisely.  Flip the CPU to real mode, run the BIOS and flip back to
protected mode. It's been done (in Windows), and modern CPUs even help make
it a bit easier (you used to have to reset the CPU to get to real mode).

Anything else requires lots of code to virtualize a DOS capable machine,
as we've all seen in the x86emu and vm86 code that runs video bioses in
the xfree86 and kdrive DDXs.

-keith