2D antialiased graphics using OpenGL

Billy Biggs vektor@dumbterm.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:52:11 -0600

Martijn Sipkema (msipkema@sipkema-digital.com):

> But how can one do compositing when gamma is not 1? AFAIK graphics
> hardware expects a framebuffer with a gamma of 1, i.e. a smooth
> shading will not render gamma corrected in hardware, right?
>
> I'd rather have convenient, fast rendering and suffer slightly worse
> resolution in some color range. If 8 bit per channel is not enough,
> then the hardware should provide more. OpenGL rendering clearly
> expects a gamma == 1 framebuffer I think...

  What do you mean when you say 'a gamma of 1'?  I don't think I
understand your post.

  I render pixels in my application for sRGB, which uses a gamma of 2.2
and a funky power function as a model of modern LCD panels and CRTs.
This standard seems well accepted.  How does this relate to 'a gamma of
1', are you saying that when I give pixels to OpenGL, that I should
populate texture pixels as sRGB values, or that I should reverse my sRGB
transform?

  Like, consider the case of taking any standard PNG file and loading it
into a texture.  What do you see happening ideally?

  -Billy