2D antialiased graphics using OpenGL

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:29:35 -0800

Around 20 o'clock on Dec 11, Adam Rice wrote:

> Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the "anti-aliased with sub-pixel
> sampling" example isn't.

Hmm.  I wonder what happened to that sample; I can't find the originals at
this point.  Oh well, I think the other two samples demonstrate the point
that shifting text by one sub pixel doesn't make color fringes appear.

> Incidentally, is there a good reason why an application would use a
> mixture of subpixel and non-subpixel anti-aliasing, or are my KDE
> applications just crackers (or misconfigured)?

Yes, whenever you mix bitmap fonts with scalable fonts, the combination
will force the scalable fonts to be drawn with regular anti-aliasing
rather than ARGB because of a bug in the Render extension.  I think this
could be fixed, but haven't gotten around to looking at it for quite some
time.

-keith