a just another stupid newbie :)

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:28:43 -0800

Around 4 o'clock on Dec 13, Jaymz Julian wrote:

> Is this sort of work on making software eyecandy run at a reasonable speed
> wanted/needed?  or am i on totally the wrong track here (this stuff is useful
> for my own use anyhow, so feel free to tell me to go to hell :)

The code is no worse than the rest of the stuff in there, so we might as
well add it.  Someday we'll figure out a reasonable architecture for all
of this compositing code and regularize it.  But, for now, I think just
hacking the heck out of it is about as good as we can manage.

Note that on the mach64, you might want to run at 16bpp as that can be
reasonably accelerated, even if the results aren't as pretty.  I'm hoping
to get some time to accelerate the compositing operations using the
hardware; let me know if you have an interest in working on that (that
would only work at 16bpp).

If you can add autodetection code to the configure.in file for
WORKING_UNALIGNED_INT, I can go ahead and apply the patch.

Oh, if you can make the dst writes go through one of your fancy macros,
the results will be faster when dst is in the frame buffer.

-keith