text and compositing

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 08:18:53 EST 2004

--- Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Ah, that's a good point.  Finding a way in our eventual server of
> reporting back to the GL-based application about the projective
> transformation used from window coordinates to screen coordinates will
> allow us to merge that with any application transformation and do
> both in one pass, providing better performance and less blocky looking
> results.

xserver doesn't have to send it back to the app. It could set the xserver window
transform into the OpenGL layer before the app does it's drawing. But this
assumes that text is generated as the server.

What is the plan for text generation, is it client or server side? Server side
can pick up the transformation matrix and share the caching of gyph bitmaps
between multiple clients.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com