Xserver device I/O on Linux

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue May 4 10:30:46 PDT 2004

Both xfree86 and xorg on which it is based has code for using
/proc/bus/pci on linux, in fact when building for ia64 this is exactly
what happens so I'm a bit confused as to why you're having an issue with
ia64. We've been building and shipping X for ia64 for a while using this
code base. One change we recently made was to always use the linux
version of the pci routines on all architectures, it had been the case
that on x86 the pci code was accessing pci config space via the IO ports
and soon this won't be supported (pci express does not support it and
there are issues with concurrency on mp machines). This was a trival one
line change to an ifdef to use the linux code.

I'm not sure what you mean by port I/O and mapping not being provided in
a way the server expects could you elaborate? A lot of these issues have
been addressed. But you're certainly right, port I/O on non-x86
architectures has been a nasty area.

John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>