[Accessibility] support for speech recognition in X and free desktops

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 8 04:53:09 PST 2006

Hi Claudio:

Some work has been done in this space, but certainly a lot more can
be done for Linux.  There are a number of places you might start
looking:

http://xvoice.sourceforge.net/  (long lived work in this space)
http://www.gok.ca/ (an on screen keyboard whose underlying techniques
might also apply to speech recognition)
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/ (information on
accessibility infrastructure in GNOME)

You've already come across http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net, so I
won't point that out (or did I just do it by accident :-)).

The main stumbling block you are going to run into will be finding a
speech recognition engine for Linux.  Things that other people have
done, however, have been to use a commercial Windows engine inside
WINE and use it to communicate with an assistive technology running
in Linux.

Will