New "apitrace trace" command patch series

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 1 18:06:34 PDT 2011

I've just pushed a new apitrace-trace branch to my git repository[*].

It consists of 7 commits, most of which are minor fixes, (and I've tried
to put the least potentially-controversial stuff earlier in the series
for easier merging).

The last commit is the one that adds the new "apitrace trace"
command. It looks a lot like what I submitted some time ago, but with
the following improvements:

  * Uses os::Path for a lot less custom code to muck with paths

  * On Windows should compile and print useful message that "apitrace
    trace" isn't supported (and documenting how to trace on
    Window). [This is actually untested.]

  * Has code to do the right thing on Mac OS X, (which I haven't gotten
    to work yet—see below).

  * Updates the documentation in the README.

I've tested that things work on Linux just fine.

I tried to test on OS X, and it compiles fine and runs, (I even found
some OSX-specific os::Path bugs from this testing—see earlier in the
patch series). But I never generated a trace on OS X.

Then again, I failed when I tried to do this manually as well. Here is
what I tried:

	$ pwd
	/Users/cworth/src/apitrace
	$ make
	Built target apitrace
	$ ls -l OpenGL
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 cworth  staff  7142672 Nov  1 17:30 OpenGL
	$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/cworth/src/apitrace/
	$ otool -L /Applications/Marble\ Blast\ Gold/MarbleBlast\ Gold.app/Contents/MacOS/MarbleBlast\ Gold
/Applications/Marble Blast Gold/MarbleBlast Gold.app/Contents/MacOS/MarbleBlast Gold:
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 128.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 299.3.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/DrawSprocket.framework/Versions/A/DrawSprocket (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 71.0.0)

which shows that the application is linking against a system OpenGL
library and not the wrapper I compiled. What am I missing here?

-Carl

[*] git://git.cworth.org/git/apitrace

carl.d.worth at intel.com