A sketch of a command-line interface for apitrace

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Oct 25 16:42:26 PDT 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:51:59 +0100, José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com> wrote:
> for good or worse, I'd like to stick with the "trace/retrace" naming
> convention.

Your project, so your call. I don't personally see any imbalance in
trace/replay, but whatever.

> Given we're not doing the magical diff anymore, what about having the
> suffixless verbs refer to traces, i.e.,
>
>       object     dump verb    diff verb
>       -----------------------------------------
>       trace        dump        diff
>       state        dump-state    diff-state
>       images    dump-images  diff-images

OK.

> I'll defer to Zack here.  But from my POV, the GUI should be a equal
> citizen as the CLI. One can imagine that certain users might want to
> use strictly the GUI.

OK. But surely we can come up with a better name than qapitrace? How
about apitrace-gui at the very least. Installing this in <prefix>/bin is
fine. We don't really want people creating menu entires and desktop
icons, etc. that reach into /usr/lib/apitrace.

> The only tricky business here is that on windows the .py extension is
> required. We can always fix up at install time, but in the git tree
> the scripts should be named either with .py or without, so I'm not
> sure what's best.

As long as the apitrace program knows how to find its private programs
inside /usr/lib/apitrace I don't care what the actual names are. So we
can have "ugly" .py extensions and the actual users should be totally
unaffected by this.

Anyway, the next email from me will have actual code attached.

Thanks for the discussion.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com