[Authentication] Item attributes types inconsistency

Stef Walter stefw at collabora.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 13:56:45 PDT 2011

On 03/13/2011 10:47 PM, Valentin Rusu wrote:
> Please be advised that I think that the spec has a little inconsistency
> when specifying item attributes.
>
> First, when creating an item, the signature of the CreateItem has a
> "properties" arg of type "a{sv}".

Yes, these are the various readwrite properties (as in o.f.d.Properties)
of the item. Usually one is the Label and the other is the Attributes.

> Secondly, the created item has a "attributes" of type "a{ss}".

Yes, the attributes are strings. These are used for looking up the
items. This correspond to the Attributes property of the Item. Does that
make sense?

> This isn't consistent and I propose to stick with "a{sv}" as it's more
> flexible, as per attached patch.

The point of the Attributes is that they are used to lookup items.
They're not meant for additional storage. We'd have a much much harder
time matching and storing arbitrary variants. I'd like to just keep
these attributes as strings. Given the above, I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Stef