[avahi] Mono-bindings: ServiceResolver not resolving...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Thu Sep 29 18:24:01 PDT 2005

On Fri, 30.09.05 01:42, Celso Pinto (cpinto at yimports.com) wrote:

> > Hmm? I don't quite understand. Why doesn't the first computer get
> > notified about "service added"? Is this a bug in Avahi?
> >
> > Did you stop the program on your second machine? If so it's not
> > surprising that you cannot resolve the service it created. Avahi sends
> > out goodbye records for a services where the owning program
> > terminates, so that they removed from all caches on the network.
>
> Nope, the code is still running on the second machine. It's not really a
> second machine... I launched the application under a different user at
> the same machine, as you will be able to tell from the IP address on the
> dump file.
>
> Let me try and explain myself a little better:
>
> - one user launches application, publishes service, listens for other
> publishers
> - second user launches the application, publishes the service, first
> user is notified, listens for publishers. Never finds out about 1st
> user.

Why doesn't he find out about the first user? Is this a bug in Avahi
or intended behaviour? I still don't understand. :-(

> - first user closes app. has second user's service name cached in a
> database. user opens the application again, isn't notified about the
> second user but because it already has a service name, tries to resolve
> that service name to no avail.

Same question here, why isn't he notified about the second user?

> > Is that Avahi 0.5 or SVN?

> Downloaded from SVN on the 26th.

Hrmm. The were some changes in SVN recently where the c# stuff wasn't
up-to-date with the client library in regards to method
signatures.

Please update to avahi 0.5.1.

(Current SVN is broken regarding avahi-sharp too)

> > Not even with a TIMEOUT event? shouldn't happen.
>
> Apparently not. I just added a debug output line to see if the
> resolution timed-out... nothing shows up in the log files.

This is very suspicious. The Resolver timeouts after 10s or so, if you
don't get that, the error is on a very high level.

> > > If this isn't a known bug, I'm more than willing to send the source
> > > code.
> >
> > Yes, please. That would be best.
>
> OK, I'm attaching the file as well.

Hmm, thanks. Honestly I cannot make much sense of the ethereal
snapshot. I cannot distuinguish which query was issued by which client
app. Is there any chance that you could repeat this stuff on two
seperate hosts with different IP addresses?

I personally don't know C#. snorp, could have a quick look on the
source code?

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/