[avahi] Avahi scope?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Sun Jan 15 05:45:04 PST 2006

On Fri, 13.01.06 13:45, Lee Cullens (lee_cullens at mac.com) wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure, but it seems to me that if I use Avahi I should
> not also use mdnsresponder - i.e. that Avahi replaces the combination of
> mdnsresponder and howl-tools.  Is this layman interpretation
> correct?

Yes, it is. However, the avahi sources ship with all the howl tools
included because we use them to make sure our HOWL compatibility
libraries work. Debian doesn not ship them in a compiled form, though.

Our native avahi replacements for the howl-tools are much more
powerful and complete anyway, hence there is no need to use anything
else than that.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/