[avahi] Avahi scope?

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 12:56:12 PST 2006

Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:07:31PM -0500, Lee Cullens wrote:
>
>> Never mind.  I found where Avahi conflicts with mdnsresponder.  The
>> problem is that if I were to remove mdnsresponder and install Avahi then
>> I would need dbus rather than dbus1  which would in turn wipe out at
>> least the majority of my testing version Gnome desktop.  It may be that
>> such could be done with the unstable Gnome desktop, but I don't want
>> move whole-hog to unstable because that would undoubtedly lead to more
>> issues.  Yet another catch-22 :-(
>>

> Not reall a Catch-22. Just some patients required. As you might have noticed
> unstable is in a big transition from dbus 0.2X to dbus >= 0.60 and from G2.10
> to G2.12.. These things take time to stabilize properly before they enter
> testing.
>
> But that's what you choose right, not the latest versions, but something which
> has had time to stabilize :). Anyway if all goes well, it should enter testing
> in 2 or 3 weeks..
>
>   Sjoerd

Thanks Sjoerd,

Yes I've noticed and I plan to get back to Avahi when the dependencies
settle down in Debian testing.  I could have setup NFS for my OS X and
Linux LAN, but I happen to believe that zeroconf is (should be) the most
direct and simplest way to share resources (files, printers, scanners,
...) on a simple LAN.  It already is with just Macs on a LAN.

I not only want to use zeroconf on my LAN, but I also want to write it
up for others with OS X and Linux on a home LAN since the subject comes
up from time to time on Mac forums.  An example of what I've contributed
to the Mac community is:
http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Bx3.html

Thanks again,
Lee C