[avahi] avahi-autoipd

chris mcharg chris at outtrack.org
Tue Sep 5 06:59:40 PDT 2006

Hi Marc

On 2006/09/05, at 4:09, Marc Krochmal wrote:

> These routes only take affect when you have no other routes
> configured, so as long as you have a router address configured,
> these entries will not be used.  Mac OS X ships with these routes
> by default and I've never heard of any reported issues with them.

Plus anyone who has itunes installed on windows has these routes
maintained as well, right??

Since it's such a good chance, would you mind checking if my
understanding of the two routes is on track? ...

-- route add default dev eth0 metric 99 --

This makes sure that data bound for routable addresses is dumped via
eth0 even when we only have a ipv4ll address, as the routable
addressed host should be able to respond to us.  As such, it only
needs to be set when we have our ipv4ll address set.

-- route add -net 169.254.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth0 metric 99 --

This ensures that we respond to ipv4ll addressed hosts even when we
have a routable address set.  Therefore, it should be set by default
at boot.

I'm still new to networking in general, so there's a good chance that
the above is not right, but I'm really enjoying getting to know my
way around just by playing with avahi/bonjour.

Cheers,

Chris