[avahi] avahi and campus wide mDNS

Nathan Merritt gnm at the-merritts.net
Tue Oct 2 12:07:36 PDT 2007

Hey Folks,

After a recent set of network upgrades, our campus network was
fragmented into several subnets for better security and isolation of
problem spots. Unfortunately, this means that students can no longer
browse iTunes etc across the entire campus, and when on the wireless
can't see any shares at all.

So far, I have all mDNS packets generated from a test computer lab
forwarded to a central Linux box running Avahi. The hope is that since
this box can receive from the entire network, and since all queries
are forwarded to it across campus they can be responded to
accordingly. Although I've observed the packets from several macs in
the lab being received by the linux server, an 'avahi-browse -a'
doesn't pick up any of the mac iTunes shares.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Nathan Merritt

--
At least the war on the environment is going well