[avahi] Problem seeing available services

Dave Lazar hunkybill at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 07:25:35 PST 2008

Hi,

I have a network setup with two machines:

Server @ 192.168.1.100 is a music sharing machine via a program called
Tangerine and DAAP

Workstation @ 192.168.1.65 uses Banshee which shows music from the server
advertised as FooRock.

When I use avahi-browse -art from the Server... I can clearly see my music
shares, my Workstation and other local services.

When I use avahi-browse -art from my Workstation, I only see my Workstation,
nothing else.

This setup worked great when my workstation was configured with Ubuntu 7.04.
When I upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10, my avahi stopped providing the fileshares.

I am confused about where to debug my Workstation to again allow
avahi-browse to show me the services available. Can someone please point me
to some debug techniques here. I have confirmed on my workstation that
avahi-daemon is working. I am just not sure how to get it to find the server
services.

Thanks