[avahi] Strange intermittent avahi-core example behaviour

David Lambert dave at lambsys.com
Tue Oct 14 09:12:44 PDT 2008

I wrote a simple embedded browser based upon the core-browse-services.c
in the examples directory. I noticed that my browser was occasionally
giving me strange addresses when attempting to resolve a service. In
order to attempt to narrow down this problem I reverted to the original
example file, and found the same problem. Since then I have added the
following code (in red) to core-browse-services.c to attempt to track
the problem further:

        case AVAHI_RESOLVER_FOUND: {
            char a[AVAHI_ADDRESS_STR_MAX], *t;

            fprintf(stderr, "(Resolver) Service '%s' of type '%s' in
domain '%s':\n", name, type, domain);

            avahi_address_snprint(a, sizeof(a), address);
            {
                int ia, ib, ic, id;
                if (sscanf(a, "%d.%d.%d.%d", &ia, &ib,&ic, &id) != 4) {
                    fprintf(stderr, "Suspicious address\n");
                    fprintf(stderr, "Avahi address protocol:%d,
address:%#010lX\n",
                            address->proto, address->data.ipv4);\
                    exit (1);
                }
            }
            t = avahi_string_list_to_string(txt);

The printout from core-browse-services is now:

(Browser) NEW: service 'Web Configuration on - visualproof' of type
'_http._tcp' in domain 'local'
(Resolver) Service 'Web Configuration on - visualproof' of type
'_http._tcp' in domain 'local':
    visualproof.local:80 (192.168.2.10)
    TXT=
    cookie is 0
    is_local: 0
    wide_area: 0
    multicast: 1
    cached: 1
(Browser) NEW: service 'Firefly svn-1696 on abraxas-studio' of type
'_http._tcp' in domain 'local'
(Resolver) Service 'Firefly svn-1696 on abraxas-studio' of type
'_http._tcp' in domain 'local':
Suspicious address
Avahi address protocol:1, address:0X000080FE
#

Please note that this is very intermittent (~once in 100), but always
seems to return the same suspicious address 0X000080FE (254.128.0.0) but
not always on the same service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.