[avahi] discover services in pidgin

Robin Perkins robin.perkins at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 15 00:19:17 PDT 2009

On 15/06/2009, at 3:58 PM, evanescent wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have written a program to publish simple tcp service in avahi
> daeman.
> Here is the relevant code fragment.
>
> [code]
>     /*Add the services for IPP */
>
>     if((ret=avahi_entry_group_add_service(group, AVAHI_IF_UNSPEC,
> AVAHI_PROTO_UNSPEC, 0, name, "_ipp._tcp", NULL, NULL, 651,
> "test=blah", r, NULL )) < 0)
>     {
>       if(ret == AVAHI_ERR_COLLISION)
>         goto collision;
>
>       perror("Failed to add _ipp._tcp service: \n");
>       goto fail;
>     }
>
> [/code]
>

> Now I want to see this from pidgin or any chat client.
> Is this possible ? If it is how can I do that?
>
> Thanks.

First of all I wouldn't be using _ipp._tcp. IPP is the 'Internet
Printing Protocol' according to http://www.dns-sd.org/
ServiceTypes.html. For Bonjour (Zeroconf) chat you are best off using
_presence._tcp (see above link for way more info than you need).

So basically if you do what you have above and then open up pidgin
with a Bonjour account type you should be able to see your
registration appear (of course you won't be able to chat until you
implement that part of the Bonjour chat protocol - which you can find
from the references in the above link).

Robin Perkins
robin.perkins at internode.on.net