[avahi] Resolve multiple IP4 Addresses

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 7 06:00:33 PDT 2009

On Thu, 07.05.09 09:14, Daniel Wynne (daniel.wynne at mobotix.com) wrote:

> Since the documentation in this issue is a little rare I wondered where
> to use the RecordBrowser. Does it replace the ServiceBrowser or can I
> use it inside the ServiceBrowserCallback to Browse the different service
> records.

If all you want know are the raw adress A/AAAA records then all you
need to do is use a ServiceBrowser/ServiceResolver to get most of the
data of the servcies and then resolve the hostname manually with
RecordBrowser.

It might be a good idea to read the DNS-SD spec before you do this.

> Please excuse my nescience, but Im pretty new to this.
> Or it might be, that I am completely wrong. In this case you should
> blame my childish naivety ;-)

And again, if you feel you need to use this it is very likely that you
are misusing mDNS and make assumptions you shouldn't make or try to
use mDNS for purposes it was not designed for.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net