[avahi] FW: avahi in ad-hoc network

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 7 06:58:33 PST 2010

On Thu, 07.01.10 09:46, ecfu (ecforusers at gmail.com) wrote:

> I have switched to BATMAN advanced which runs on layer 2.  However I am
> still not seeing the avahi services across the hop.  If all my nodes are
> within range of each other, I do see all the services.  But as soon as I
> move one out of range so that it needs to use another node as a hop, I lose
> the services even though the node that is providing the hop sees the
> services from all the other nodes.
>
> Its weird because with BATMAN advanced, it says it runs at layer 2 so your
> ethernet communications should be transparent.  Does this make sense that it
> still is not working?

Nah. Link-local multicasting uses special addresses on ethernet. Maybe
batman doesn't handle them properly? You might want to contact the
batman folks about that as they probably know quite well if they
support mcast properly.

> I don't really have any gateways in my network.  But I suppose the hop node
> works as one.  However in an ad-hoc network there is no way to tell if you
> are going to be the hop or not.  What would the consequences of
> enabling enable-reflector=y
> on all nodes be in an ad-hoc network?

The reflector stuff will reflect on mdns level and cannot deal with
network graphs that are cyclic. I am pretty sure batman networks are
cyclic.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net