[avahi] Bonjour emulation by Avahi on Ubuntu

Kirk Reistroffer kreistroffer at kace.com
Mon Feb 20 16:31:46 PST 2012

I have a Bonjour-aware service in development and running on OSX and Windows.  I'm currently moving it onto Linux flavors and am looking for advice on how best to proceed with that.

It appears that Avahi is a preferred Linux native zeroconf implementation and I see that there's been some collaboration between Apple and the Avahi project in the past, leading to an Avahi supplied replacement dns_sd.h and an avahi-compat-libdns_sd library.  I'm looking for information on how to initially make use of the compatibility library.  I'm expecting that I'll eventually need to re-implement the zeroconf parts of the app to the Avahi API on Linux but hope to more immediately get a Linux build that plays well/ok with its peers for POC.

I haven't yet found a spot on www.avahi.org that describes how to build the first step.  I've substituted the Avahi dns_sd.h (which appears to be a subset of Apple's dns_sd.h) and link with libavahi-common.so.  I've tried:
> sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
That appears to be a source download and I'm trying to get all of its dependencies via ./configure in its avahi-0.6.31 directory. I'm guessing that will eventually get me a libavahi-compat-libdnssd1.so to add to my app link.
It seems that the standard Avahi .so's are pre-installed in Ubuntu 11 but the compatibility libraries aren't so I think I have to build it locally and add it to /usr/lib with the other libavahi-*.so files.  Am I on the right track?