[Beignet] Problems with recent beignet

Martin Hauke mardnh at gmx.de
Sat Oct 18 07:26:02 PDT 2014

Hi Zhigang,

On 18.10.2014 04:36, you wrote:
>> building git master on OpenSUSE 13.1 actually fails since this OpenSUSE
>> version ships only with libdrm2-2.4.46-3.2.2
> As you may know, we are working on enable BDW. And the new version
> libdrm is required for that purpose.
> Considering libdrm 2.4.52 was released more than half year ago, we
> didn't think this requirement is a real issue.
>
> If there is a strong reason that there are systems won't upgrade to
> the libdrm 2.4.52 or newer. Please
> let us know. Thanks.

OpenSUSE 13.2 will be released in the next weeks and is will be based on
current OpenSUSE Factory packages so it will ship at least libdrm 2.4.58

For OpenSUSE 13.1 users i've included libdrm 2.4.58 in my obs repositories:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:mnhauke:opencl:stable/beignet
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:mnhauke:opencl:testing/beignet

OpenSUSE 13.1 ships LLVM 3.3 and building beignet git master still
fails:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:mnhauke:opencl:testing/beignet/openSUSE_13.1/x86_64
----------------snip---------------------------
backend/src/llvm/llvm_unroll.cpp:47:32: fatal error:
llvm/IR/Dominators.h: No such file or directory
----------------snip---------------------------

Is LLVM 3.3 still supported with recent beignet versions?

>> Unfortunately also building against OpenSUSE factory does not work
>> https://build.opensuse.org/build/home:mnhauke:opencl:testing/openSUSE_Factory/x86_64/beignet/_log
> The root cause of the above failure is it is using an unsupported
> build type when configure beignet with the following option.
> -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None
> To fix it you can just remove the above option.

Fixed! thanks for pointing this out.
I'm using the the %cmake macro in the specfile for the build which
defaults to "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None" if not specified otherwise.

>> Also building beignet version 0.9.3 fails on obs.
>> RPM-postbuild check says:
>> -------------------snip----------------------------
>> [  506s] I: Program returns random data in a function
>> [  506s] E: beignet no-return-in-nonvoid-function
>> /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/Beignet-0.9.3-Source/backend/src/llvm/llvm_gen_backend.cpp:1108
>> [  506s]
>> [  506s] I: Program returns random data in a function
>> [  506s] E: beignet no-return-in-nonvoid-function
>> /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/Beignet-0.9.3-Source/backend/src/llvm/llvm_gen_backend.cpp:1108
> Right, this is a compilation warning. It could be easily fixed at
> llvm_gen_backend.cpp:1106.
>
>  -   else
>  -     assert(0);
>  -  }
> +    else {
> +     GBE_ASSERT(0 && "Unsupported constant expression");
> +     return regTranslator.getScalar(val, elemID);
> +   }
>
> It was fixed in the master branch but still in 0.9.3 release. As the
> next major release is coming, we will not make a
> fix release for this compilation warning issue.

Thanks. I've included the fix in my packages.

best regards,
Martin