[Beignet] Regarding CL_KHR_gl_sharing support

Zhigang Gong zhigang.gong at linux.intel.com
Fri May 8 01:15:56 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 09:20:55AM +0200, Martijn Berger wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have tried beignet and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the
> quality of this project.
> I have run into a situation however where I am contemplating moving to the
> Intel + linux platform for an embedded solution based on Broadwell but for
> that i would likely benefit greatly fro cl_gl sharing.

We have to modify mesa if we want to implement fully compliant cl_khr_gl_sharing
support. But if we want to implement a subset of that function, then we may be
able to use existing mesa image extension such as EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image
and EGL_KHR_gl_texture_3D_image which could get an EGL image from a texture and
implement the sharing via the EGL image. This solution may have restrications for
complex GL texture such as a texture with multiple mipmap levels or belong to
a texture array. If these restrications are acceptable for your application,
you may have a change to get a workable cl_gl sharing extension by using
official mesa.

> I have looked at the mesa tree and the now defunct cl_gl sharing support in
> beignet and am wondering are there any plans to try supporting this again?
> And can this be done in a durable way ( without some custom mesa ) and what
> are other possible bits of information if I would try to fix this myself ?.

You are welcome to contribute on this extension, and you can start with understanding
the above two EGL extensions and existing cl_gl sharing code in beignet. And
try to change it to use the above offical EGL extensions.

Thanks,
Zhigang Gong.