[cairo] YUV / RGB images

Thomas Andrews tandrews at grok.co.za
Tue Jul 28 02:11:31 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm in the process of writing a camera device driver for a Baumer
camera. I need advice about what image format(s) best suit Cairo, as the
rest of the project will most likely use Cairo to display and manipulate
the images from the camera. (Stills and video.)

The camera natively produces Bayer RGB images and converts these to
YUV422 format by default, but can be configured to produce the following:

Bayer RG8
Bayer RG12
Mono 8
YUV411 Packed
YUV422 Packed
YUV444 Packed
RGB8 Packed
BGR8 Packed

The camera just produces a binary buffer. There's no header to describe
the pixel format, so Cairo will have to be told about the format. I know
absolutely nothing about Cairo, so please excuse me if this is an
idiotic question.

Which of the above formats best suit Cairo, and what additional
adaptation would be required for a Cairo programmer to be able to use
the buffered data?

If someone could point me at an example proggie to render binary images,
that would be fantastic.

Many thanks
Thomas