[Clipart] Roadmap

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Fri Jun 25 11:37:21 PDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > I also updated the roadmap for this release. We decided to solicit for
> > SUMMER themed clipart right? We should formulate and send out an email
> > very broadly with a specific deadline. Do you all agree? It is important
> > in soliciting to provide a deadline, otherwise folks will continuously
> > procrastinate.
>
> the announced deadline is 27 June, right?
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/clipart/2004-June/000478.html

Yes.  I plan to devote most of the weekend to working on getting this
out, but am not going to be slipping the date.

I notice that a lot more items have metadata than last release, which is
great, but there's still quite a few that lack it.  I'll try to generate
a report as soon as I can about it.

> IMO, the most important steps right now are:
> - add metadata to all already submitted images, is a waste to have them
> uploaded and not included in release

Agreed.  Tool-wise we're in a position to be able to handle metadata
much better than last release, so we should push this forward.  Anyone
can help with this, it's mainly just tracking down who submitted what,
and running svg_annotate on it, then re-uploading.

> - organize images - having as in 0.03 release all images in one single
> directory, named "unsorted" is bearable for 30 images, but not for
> several hundreds or more.

I'm planning on focusing on this after 0.03, because the tools are not
currently in a position to be able to handle categories, and I'd rather
focus the time on the more core capabilities of processing the
metadata and getting as many images in as I can.

> completing those steps will deserve alone a new milestone (IMO)
>
> i also have some concerns about images naming scheme, but more on that
> later, when we will be at that point

I've thought about this myself.  And I agree it is something we can
discuss later.  I notice we already have a few dolphin images...