[Clipart] thumbnails size

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Sep 1 11:41:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> we generate thumbnails for releases with Inkscape, with "-w 80"
> parameter, that means the resulting PNG will have the width 80 pixels.
>
> i just have submitted some images with the aspect ratio about 1:2.6
> (width:height). the resulted thumbnails (if we use the same procedure)
> will have the standard width (80 px) but a much larger height (206 px).
> another example is
> http://openclipart.org/clipart//Animals/Mammals/contour_giraffe.png
> which cause a distortion in the layout of his page:
> http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/Animals/Mammals
> the same for http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/Shapes/Decorations

Whoa, I hadn't seen those decoration shapes before - veeery nice.  :-)

> we cannot use "-w 80 -h 80" because this will alter proportions in
> thumbnails
>
> using "-h 80" instead of "-w 80" is also wrong, because will generate
> bad thumbnails when width is much larger compared with height

Yeah, it's a tough problem to solve.  But you know, despite distorting
the pages, it doesn't look that bad - one would expect that the giraffe
is a little taller than the other animals; to shrink it's height down
might make it seem out of proportion with the other animals.  Where we
might run into troubles is if someone submitted a thin vertical line...