[Clipart] thumbnails size

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Sep 1 21:14:23 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

>> the same for http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/Shapes/Decorations
>
> Whoa, I hadn't seen those decoration shapes before - veeery nice.  :-)

They can be useful for things like borders, putting _something_ in the
last quarter-inch of whitespace at the bottom of a column, but still
leaving it mostly white, and so on.  They're also not very hard to
create.

> Yeah, it's a tough problem to solve.  But you know, despite distorting
> the pages, it doesn't look that bad

These examples don't cause serious problems because the images in
question aren't pathological cases, but imagine an aspect ratio
further away from 1:1.  Like, say, 300:1 or so.

> Where we might run into troubles is if someone submitted a thin
> vertical line...

Right, like a flagpole, perhaps, or a lightning bolt (not quite as
bad, but still worse than the giraffe) or (going the other way) a
decorative graphical rule like are sometimes used on web pages as a
replacement for plain hr elements.

Of course, we could always just manually generate thumbnails for any
special cases that cause a real problem.

I bet that carrot I submitted earlier today is going to make a pretty
tall thumbnail, too, probably worse than the giraffe, but not nearly
so bad as a flagpole would do.