Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Sep 14 22:53:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:48, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
>
> > Cool man!!! You rock majorly!
>
> It's the CPAN that rocks.  All I do is harness it and make it do our
> work for us :-)

true

> > I got daniel stone to install image magick, but I think you mean the
> > perl wrapper around that.
>
> Yes.  It might come with that, though...
>
> jonadab at gabe:~$ perl -e ' use Image::Magick; print "$Image::Magick::VERSION$/" '
> 6.0.7
> jonadab at gabe:~$
>
> Looks good.  I'll put in the mail-sending stuff and test it some more.

I think just send mail to admins in the group clipart on that server
where our site is listed so that when we login we get the you have new
mail message...otherwise, this is a feature that we can tie in when we
develop our user/pass system later on...

> Actually, you can test it now, here:
> http://search.cpan.org/src/BRYCE/SVG-Metadata-0.15/lib/SVG/Metadata.pm
>
> It *should* work now, except for sending the mail, which will not be
> hard to add.
>
> > Did you see my makeThumbnail script in the screenshots folder (it is
> > simple)...it would be cool to attach this to the work you've done to
> > automate the creation of thumbnails...
>
> Having a look now...
>
> Yeah, that would work too, but ImageMagick comes with the Perl
> bindings, so I think I'll stick with doing it that way, since it
> doesn't require installing anything more.  (It's about three lines of
> Perl, making the actual thumbnail.  Most of the 200 lines in
> upload_screenshot.cgi is HTML and comments and sanity checks.)
>
> > All these little site tools are sweet that we have rocking.
>
> Getting there.  Some things could still use some polish, but the
> toolset is definitely starting to take shape.

agree

> > We should make a wishlist of tools.
>
> Well, there are some things we know we want...
>
>  * The ability to easily add keywords to existing images using the web
>    interface.  If nobody else does this, I'll probably get to it in
>    the next while or so.  I can't commit to a specific timeframe,
>    though, and if someone else wants to work on it, that's fine too.
>
>  * An easy way for authors to update their own contributions.  This is
>    currently waiting on the DMS work that Bryce is doing, I think.
>
>  * The package-and-release toolchain probably needs refinement.  I'm
>    not familiar enough with it to know exactly what kind of refinement.
>
>  * The tools for taking images from Incoming or from a released
>    package and moving them into the Browse script's directory
>    heirarchy for easy browsing probably need to be automated better.
>    I've been mostly ignoring this since the browse tool was largely
>    Alberto's work, and I didn't want to step on his toes, and in any
>    case it really needed some of the keyword stuff that only got in
>    place (relatively) recently.
>
>  * The XML category heirarchy thingy hasn't seen much action lately.
>
>  * We wanted to investigate a package format, and it got put on the
>    back burner waiting for some other things to come together.  We
>    could probably get back to that soon, if a couple of us get some
>    Copious Free Time.

Could you put these up on the wiki (and if there is not a page, start
one). These are good guides for feature requests. Actually, you could
just put them into mantis as feature requests. I keep forgetting we have
that...ugh...

Great Work!

KOREA.PH.010.3140.7483
USA.PH.858.361.2811