[Clipart] Public Domain certification blurb on Upload screen

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Thu Jul 8 08:10:58 PDT 2010

Greg Bulmash <oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com> writes:

> By submitting this work, you guarantee:
>
>    1. You drew it or have made sure it is not copyrighted.
>    2. It does not contain anyone else's characters, logos, or trademarks.
>    3. You forever surrender ALL rights to the work, placing it in the
> public domain. No take-backs.
>
> If you're even a little unsure whether you can make these guarantees... ask us.

That looks pretty reasonable to me.  We can always fine-tune it more later,
if somebody thinks of a way to make it better.

> I think there's an argument to be made for not scaring people off,
> but there's a stronger argument to be made for not getting users
> sued because they trusted OCAL and used a copyrighted work submitted
> by someone unclear on the concept.

I don't think we have to choose between meeting either one of those
criteria or the other.  I mean, there's going to be a little bit of a
trade-off, but it should be possible to make the wording reasonably
friendly and non-scary and yet still say something about the matter.

We can't guarantee that everyone will actually *read* it, but we
should do what we can to make it as clear as possible (note: clear
is not the same as equal legal-sounding and scary).

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library