[Clipart] aggressive, potentially offensive language

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:05:35 PDT 2011

On 6 October 2011 08:42, Nathan Eady <eady at galion.lib.oh.us> wrote:

> chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What is OCAL's policies regarding swearing as titles on clipart?
>
> If such a policy has been developed so far, I am not aware of it.  (That
> doesn't mean we don't _need_ such a policy.  I'm just not sure it's come
> up before.)

I think it has not come up before. I personally do not mind the titles, I'm
a big guy, I can ignore stuff like that, however my Librarian side is saying
this is not the appropriate venue to be saying such stuff.

> At minimum, anything with really nasty language in it needs to be
> consistently tagged with a keyword (probably "profanity" or somesuch) so
> people can easily filter them out.  The words "bigot" probably doesn't
> qualify as profanity, and "filthy" certainly does not, but I saw at
> least one that does.
>

> There are also some (such as the aforementioned "bigot") that should
> probably also have a keyword indicating that they are directed ad
> hominem.  It's tempting to use the word "slander" as the keyword for
> that, even though these titles are not slander (or libel for that
> matter) in the technical legal sense, because it would probably
> communicate better (to most folks) than "adhominem".  Thoughts?

So adding tags is a good idea, (bigot would be tagged "slander"?). Do we
really need tags such as "f***ing?" I'm inclined to remove those
all-together. But then the question becomes "Do we change the tags and
titles?" I am a little uncomfortable with that idea (changing someone else's
tags or titles) as it smells of censorship to me, and I don't like that.
However, I am also trying to be mindful of the other users of this library.
"Bigot" is this one person's opinion, and I feel that opinions don't really
have a place on OCAL - in titles, tags or descriptions. "F***ing" (as used
in the sense it is being used) is just derogatory, and we *do have *a "don't
use judgemental words as tags, ON the upload page.

I am leaning towards tagging it cleanup, and asking him to remove the F and
opinionated tags/titles.

> I'm assuming here that the people being insulted are public figures
> (ones I've never heard of, but that's not unusual since I don't watch
> television) and that it thus qualifies as some kind of (inept and
> markedly juvenile) social commentary.  If it's the artist's own personal
> acquaintances being insulted, I'd be in favor of hiding them, on the
> grounds that OCAL is not the proper venue for that.

I believe they are ministers of countries that this person, personally does
not like.

> I'm also assuming that the images themselves are original material.  If
> they're existing OCAL images with new titles as the only contribution,
> they're redundant and should be marked as duplicates and hidden.

They seem to be original. Scans of public images probably or drawn with a
good eye. (I am making good faith assumptions there.)