[compiz] On the way to theming g-w-d

Thomas Liebetraut thomas at tommie-lie.de
Thu Apr 20 01:00:34 PDT 2006

Again CC'd to ML.

David Reveman schrieb:
>>   data[5] = number of quads that will follow
> I don't think we should have the length stored in the property. It's not
> needed as the total length is always stored as part of the property and
> therefor X properties with dynamic length usually never store the length
> in the property. e.g. _NET_CLIENT_LIST.
Maybe too much of a Windows approach due to my history as a programmer :-)
You're right, the length can be retrieved from the XProperty. I'll
remove this field from the property. (thus, the offset for all quads
will be decreased by one: 4 + n*9 + X)

>> The plugin interface is designed similarly to the interface already used
>>  for Compiz plugins, except only one plugin can be loaded at a time and
>> thus there can't be any dependencies.
> The plugin interface doesn't have to be as dynamic as the one in compiz
> and you can use gobject and gtk in g-w-d so you might be able to create
> something simpler than the interface in compiz. But I'm not sure, you'll
> figure out what's best...
It won't be as dynamic. As I said, there won't be dependencies or more
than one plugin loaded at a time. The only "dynamic" thing in it will be
to change the plugin while running g-w-d to change the theme. I don't
even see a reason for the WRAP/UNWRAP macros in the decorator.
I'm not sure if using much Gtk+ will be a good idea. I'll try to reduce
Gtk+ to the necessary things, if possible, to make porting the decorator
to other Desktop Environments easier, but where sensible, I will of
course use Gtk+ and Glib. If someone wants to use a pure KDE/Qt
approach, he's welcome implement it. At the moment I doubt that one
universal decorator is possible (or even sensible), although it was my
first idea to merge k-w-d and g-w-d in the beginning. According to
Ubuntu's packaging system, WNCK depends on Gtk+/Glib, anyway, so there
is no reason I should strictly avoid Gtk+/Glib.

> btw, I'll commit some dynamic shadow code to g-w-d in a few days. Most
> plugins will likely want to use this code.
Okay. I'll also take a look at Quinn's patches and include as many
features asked by the community as possible.

Regards,
Thomas

--
This email is digitally signed and encoded in PGP/MIME format.
If you prefer encrypted correspondence or if you want to verify my