[compiz] COW and unredirect_fullscreen_windows

Douglas Bollinger dcb at pa.net
Tue Nov 7 15:37:36 PST 2006

I'm using Compiz 0.3.2 on Gentoo with the Nvidia 9626 beta drivers.

First off, I would like to state that Compiz is very, very nice.  The effects
are very tasteful and enhance the desktop experience instead of being
distracting.  Compiz itself works great, the animations are smooth and it's
very nice that it now uses the Metacity themes.

The only reason I'm not using Compiz full time is that it clobbers the
framerates of my other 3D apps, aka games.  From what I understand, one way
around this would be to activate the unredirect_fullscreen_windows option
which would disable Compiz effects for fullscreen apps and hopefully restore
the framerate of the games.  Of course, that doesn't work.  From what I read
in the mailing list archives is that this feature doesn't work with COW, which
is what the Nvidia drivers use with Compiz.

I was just curious if anyone knew if this was still going to be fixed.  It's
been awhile since this bug has been mentioned last on the mailing list.

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.