[compiz] COW and unredirect_fullscreen_windows

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Tue Nov 7 16:21:44 PST 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:37 pm, Douglas Bollinger wrote:
> I'm using Compiz 0.3.2 on Gentoo with the Nvidia 9626 beta
> drivers.
>
> First off, I would like to state that Compiz is very, very nice.
> The effects are very tasteful and enhance the desktop experience
> instead of being distracting.  Compiz itself works great, the
> animations are smooth and it's very nice that it now uses the
> Metacity themes.
>
> The only reason I'm not using Compiz full time is that it
> clobbers the framerates of my other 3D apps, aka games.  From
> what I understand, one way around this would be to activate the
> unredirect_fullscreen_windows option which would disable Compiz
> effects for fullscreen apps and hopefully restore the framerate
> of the games.  Of course, that doesn't work.  From what I read in
> the mailing list archives is that this feature doesn't work with
> COW, which is what the Nvidia drivers use with Compiz.

On NVIDIA drivers at least, you can try using the old workaround to
disable clipping of GLX rendering to the root window.  With this
workaround enabled, you don't need to use the composite overlay
window, so you might get better results.

Set the option in your X config:

    Option   "DisableGLXRootClipping"  "True"

Then run compiz without the composite overlay window option.

Thanks,
-James Jones

nvpublic