[compiz] Multisceen Support WAS : Re: [Fwd: Re: compiz coding style]

Alexandre Mazari scaroo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 15:34:39 PDT 2006

Hi list !

A quick reaction to :

> Dual-/multi-head support? After lots of inquiries you rudely brushed
> that subject aside because "xinerama isn't really useful" and made it
> pretty clear how much you valued the community:

> ,----
> DR> I wont accept any xinerama patches, if you like to use xinerama
> DR> until proper multi-screen support is implemented, you have to patch
> DR> things.
> `----

Reading at the xorg-devel mailing list, David made the right decision to wait.
Xinerama will sooner or later be deprecated in favor of Randr++ pushed
by Keith Packard. See [1].

This solution is said to be both cleaner and easier to use and here
for foreseeable futur.

A randr++ plugin for compiz would be very welcome ! I may have a look
at it, I need to refresh my C skills !

[1] : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-September/018058.html

Cordially,

--