[compiz] Compiz starts, but no 3D effects

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 22:22:25 PST 2007

On 10/11/2007, Ray <zoet13 at espora.org> wrote:
> Hey Dotan, this is Ray.
> I have a Dell 6400 too, working with X1300 and i have Gutsy, everything
> works great, and i have now input audio back. Can you tell me which
> release notes are you talking about?

Suspend to RAM with fglrx
      Attempting to suspend to RAM using the proprietary fglrx ATI
video driver from the restricted component will hard-lock the system
due to changes in the kernel's memory allocator (which will be the
default in Linux 2.6.23) that have not been followed by ATI in a
timely fashion; this is the vendor's responsibility and is beyond our
control due to the proprietary nature of the driver. Workarounds
include using Ubuntu 7.04, avoiding suspending to RAM, or using the
free ATI driver. Bug #121653

There are other problems as well, but they are livable/ have workarounds.

> Ok, you now have the default settings, you need to install CompizConfig
> Settings Manager
> ray at malegra:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep compiz
> ii  compiz 1:0.
> ii  compiz-core
> ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
> ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-main
> ii  compiz-gnome
> ii  compiz-plugins
> ii  compizconfig-settings-manager
> ii  emerald
> ii  libcompizconfig-backend-gconf
> ii  libcompizconfig0
> ii  libemeraldengine0
> ii  python-compizconfig

It's all there:

ii  compiz                                     0.5.2+git20070918-0ubuntu5~ppa1
ii  compiz-core                                0.5.2+git20070918-0ubuntu5~ppa1
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-extra                0.5.2+git20070917-0ubuntu1~ppa1
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-main                 0.5.2+git20070917-0ubuntu3~ppa1
ii  compiz-gnome
0.5.2+git20070918-0ubuntu5~ppa1
rc  compiz-gtk                                 0.3.6-1ubuntu13
ii  compiz-kde
0.5.2+git20070918-0ubuntu5~ppa1
ii  compiz-plugins
0.5.2+git20070918-0ubuntu5~ppa1
ii  compizconfig-settings-manager
0.5.2+git20070829-0ubuntu1~ppa1
ii  emerald
0.3~git20070717-0ubuntu1~ppa1
ii  libcompizconfig-backend-gconf
0.5.2+git20070918-0ubuntu1~ppa1
ii  libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig
0.0+git20070912-0ubuntu1~ppa1
ii  libcompizconfig0
0.5.2+git20070919-0ubuntu2~ppa1
ii  libemeraldengine0
0.3~git20070717-0ubuntu1~ppa1
ii  python-compizconfig
0.5.2+git20070829-0ubuntu1~ppa1

> Once its installed you can find it on System -> Preferences menú.

I use KDE, so I open it with "ccsm" in Alt-F4.

> Just one more thing: if your're usin 8.42.3 drivers you dont need Xgl.

I _may_ have installed the older drivers by mistake. I'll reinstall
and try again. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il