[compiz] Running Compiz in XGL

Joel Bosveld joel.bosveld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 17:04:43 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/4/30 Joel Bosveld <joel.bosveld at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > I have a Dell Inspiron with the ATI x1400 video card. In Ubuntu 7.04 I
> > > ran Compiz-Fusion in XGL with the fglrx drivers and the system was
> > > very responsive. I noticed no performance penalties at all. In Ubuntu
> > > 8.04 I am running Compiz natively with the current fglrx drivers, and
> > > the system is sluggish. Disabling Compiz makes the system very
> > > responsive. So I am interested in running Compiz in XGL like I had in
> > > 7.04. Is this advised? Are there and disadvantages? I specifically
> > > need the Enhanced Zoom Desktop and Negativity plugins. Thanks in
> > > advance.
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> > >

> > The latest fglrx supports aiglx, and the xgl performance is not as good
> > (from what I've heard). So disabling xgl will probably work (although
> the
> > performance may not be as good as xgl in 7.04), either that or you will
> need
> > to rollback to an older driver and use xgl.
> >
> > Joel
> >

> Thanks, Joel. I think that I'm not understanding correctly. You are
> suggesting that I disable xgl, however, so far as I understand it is
> not enabled now at all. Er, what is aiglx? I just read the wikipedia
> article, and it all went over my head. Aiglx replaces the fglrx
> driver? Replaces XGL? Another layer in between? Sorry for the
> ignorance, us ME majors are not so bright in things CS :)
>
> Thinking more practically, how can I enable XGL on Kubuntu 8.04 to
> test if that is better? Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were currently running with xgl also.
Aiglx (at least from the users perspective) is just another way of doing
what xgl does (with some advantages/disadvantages). As far as I understand
the fglrx driver uses aiglx in order to do what xgl was doing for it (namely
provide the texture_from_pixmap gl extension).

To enable xgl it should be as simple as "sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl"
then restart X.

Joel