[compiz] openSuSE 10.3 compiz loads with white screen for 1 user

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 6 08:19:38 PST 2008

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	I have an interesting problem with compiz on openSuSE 10.3. On a 4 user
> system, compiz loads with a blank white desktop. The desktop begins to
> load and you can see the desktop background, then it goes completely
> blank white. The mouse cursor is visible, but nothing else. You can spin
> the cube, no caps are present, but the mouse is non responsive otherwise
> (no right-click response or context menus). The only way to end the
> session is ctrl+alt+backspace.
>
> 	All other users desktops load fine. What possible setting could be
> messed up? Googling suggests gnome-xgl-switch can be the problem, but I
> have enabled and disabled it with no change in results. What should I
> check next??

Check that users ~/.compiz folder and see if there are any weirdness in
there (e.g. old manually complied plugins etc.).

Other thing to check also is your config system. What config backend are
you using? If ccsm then check the ~/.config/compiz/compizconfig/ folder
and compare the setting of the borken user to that of the working ones.

Col