[compiz] openSuSE 10.3 compiz loads with white screen for 1 user

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:13:08 PST 2008

Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 2:38 AM, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> Listmates,
>>
>>         I have an interesting problem with compiz on openSuSE 10.3. On a 4 user
>> system, compiz loads with a blank white desktop. The desktop begins to
>> load and you can see the desktop background, then it goes completely
>> blank white. The mouse cursor is visible, but nothing else. You can spin
>> the cube, no caps are present, but the mouse is non responsive otherwise
>> (no right-click response or context menus). The only way to end the
>> session is ctrl+alt+backspace.
>>
>>         All other users desktops load fine. What possible setting could be
>> messed up? Googling suggests gnome-xgl-switch can be the problem, but I
>> have enabled and disabled it with no change in results. What should I
>> check next??
>>
>>         Thanks for any help!
>>

> Hey David,
>
> What video hardware do you have? This is either an issue with dodgy
> drivers, or it is the fact that DRI won't let you have direct
> rendering on more than one X Server.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

It is an older nVidia card that worked great with opensuse 10.3 before I
reinstalled it. Now compiz has taken on a life of its own. It was
working (except for the white cube) until the last opensuse update. Now
compiz won't work at all. Time for another:

rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep compiz) fusion-icon

and try again.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC