[compiz] Howto uninstall compiz from Kubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 06:52:51 PDT 2008

2008/6/21 Phlip <phlip2005 at gmail.com>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>>>  - lazy mouse (in /this/ day and age???)
>>
>> Lazy? Could you be more descriptive? I don't understand how an
>> inanimate object (other than a regex) could be lazy.
>
> Google "lazy mouse"!

I see. You can put program and file shortcuts on a KDE panel, you
know. I have one that pops up when the mouse meets the lower right
screen corner and disappears after 3 seconds.

>>>  - The Run window did not reliably pop up
>>
>> I also had this problem on Kubuntu. Pressing Ctrl-F2 twice was
>> necessary. I don't remember at what point it went away, but you might
>> want to update you system.
>
> I started with the Kubuntu keyboard emulation for <Graphic+R>, to maintain
> muscle memory with my XP desktop. compiz ate that keystroke to magnify the
> desktop. (Nice if you need it, but then the demagnifying keystroke was not very
> obvious...)

I prefer to seperate my metakeys by application level. My apps
(firefox, open office) uses the Ctrl key, KDE uses the Alt key, and
Compiz uses the Tux key. Why don't you want to use the *nix shortcuts?

>>>   sudo aptitude remove compiz-core
>
> Oh I forgot to point out - when I did that first, I simply lost Kwin. I could
> restart X, and get no window titlebars or decorations at all. (I lost the
> "window manager", but I'm writing it in terms that naive users can google for.)
>
>> For another, it appears to me that you've answered your own question.
>> Or did I miss something?
>
> I am reporting a bug, and am making a feeble attempt to "socialize out" a failed
> vetting of the usability envelop. I'm aware I'm not doing a good job with either.

No, that's fine, but I though that you were asking a question. You
might want to file the bug where it will get an audience who can fix
it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/

> One thing MacOSX and Windows Vista have in common is "mouse abuse". You can't
> work and keep your fingers on the home row. The Unix-style desktops should not
> emulate them!

Agreed!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com