[compiz] Howto uninstall compiz from Kubuntu

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 05:40:25 PDT 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>  - lazy mouse (in /this/ day and age???)
>
> Lazy? Could you be more descriptive? I don't understand how an
> inanimate object (other than a regex) could be lazy.

Google "lazy mouse"!

>>  - The Run window did not reliably pop up
>
> I also had this problem on Kubuntu. Pressing Ctrl-F2 twice was
> necessary. I don't remember at what point it went away, but you might
> want to update you system.

I started with the Kubuntu keyboard emulation for <Graphic+R>, to maintain
muscle memory with my XP desktop. compiz ate that keystroke to magnify the
desktop. (Nice if you need it, but then the demagnifying keystroke was not very
obvious...)

>>  - minimize-all-windows turned everything black
>
> Can't help you here.

It's a bug. (Either that, or <Graphic+M> did something to compiz that I couldn't
figure out how to undo...)

Linux heptones 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Sony Vaio VGN-FZ130E

<Graphic+M> is wired to Minimize All Windows. Hitting it blackened the screen.
After that, any input that should have raised a window instead raised a dark
rectangle with nothing painted into it. Clicking into this would hit buttons.

Did the Minimize All Windows simply surprise Compiz?

>>   sudo aptitude remove compiz-core

Oh I forgot to point out - when I did that first, I simply lost Kwin. I could
restart X, and get no window titlebars or decorations at all. (I lost the
"window manager", but I'm writing it in terms that naive users can google for.)

> For another, it appears to me that you've answered your own question.
> Or did I miss something?

I am reporting a bug, and am making a feeble attempt to "socialize out" a failed
vetting of the usability envelop. I'm aware I'm not doing a good job with either.

One thing MacOSX and Windows Vista have in common is "mouse abuse". You can't
work and keep your fingers on the home row. The Unix-style desktops should not
emulate them!

--
   Phlip