[compiz] Annoucement: Creation of the Compiz Council and the road ahead

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at bohemians.org
Wed Feb 4 01:22:56 PST 2009

As a result of the general unrest in the Compiz community, a series of
conference calls were held to work out how to move forward. The minutes
of these conference calls have already been published, but no official
statements have been made, until now.

A council has been established, which will ultimately be responsible for
running the Compiz development. It consists of 5 well-established members
of the community, listed below. The council will work openly and will
encourage open discussion and decision-making, but will take charge where
it feels it is necessary to retain momentum. The council has yet to decide
on all the formalities involved, but it will be sorted out as is necessary,
with focus on keeping the project healthy.

The members of the council are, in alphabetical order:
 - Danny "maniac" Baumann
 - Dennis "onestone" Kasprzyk
 - Guillaume "iXce" Seguin
 - Kristian "KristianL" Lyngstøl
 - Sam "SmSpillaz" Spilsbury

The council has already decided on a preliminary road map, that is subject
to change. The preliminary roadmap is:

- Merge Compiz and Compiz Fusion both in name and support systems. We are
  now using just Compiz as the name, and Compiz is moving away from
  Freedesktop entirely. Details are still being worked out.
- Release Compiz 0.8.0. Expect a release schedule later this evening.
- Merge Compiz++ to master.
- Release Compiz 0.9.0. This will happen shortly after the merge of
  Compiz++ is finished to allow for testing and feedback.
- Release Compiz 0.9.2. This will happen a few weeks after 0.9.0 as a pure
  bug-fix/cleanup release, with no major changes.
- At this point we will look at Nomad. If Nomad is ready to merge, we will
  aim for a 0.9.4 release which will include Nomad, and a 0.9.6 release
  which, similar to 0.9.2, will be a bug-fix/cleanup release.
- If Nomad is not ready, we will go over the option handling in 0.9.4, and
  push Nomad back as necessary. Otherwise, the option handling will be
  overhauled in the release after the Nomad bug-fix.

We hope to have the next stable release ready by August/September 2009,
which should include Compiz++ and Nomad. This does depend on
Nomad-progress, however. During the Compiz 0.9 development cycle, we will
review all Compiz code. This will allow us to better document the code and
clean up rough code. During this process it is likely that we will remove
functionality that is implemented in an inadequate fashion. This can then
be re-implemented properly if it is a sufficiently popular feature, and
there is developer interest.

There are a number of smaller issues to work out, and the 0.9 development
branch is expected to be quite volatile. More information will be posted as
it is available.

Regards,
Danny Baumann, Dennis Kasprzyk, Guillaume Seguin,
Kristian Lyngstøl, Sam Spilsbury

The Compiz Council