[CREATE] What is a "swatch" ?

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Oct 15 08:31:32 PDT 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007, Jon Phillips wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 13:52 +0200, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > * swatch book format, the more I think about this, the more I wonder if
> > the best solution isn't to simply have an archive (zip or tar) containing
> > files using the currently existing file format.
>
> Explain that again please...feel like I'm missing something...
Well I see two possibilities for a "swatch book format" :
* a completely new file format XML based, defining gradients, plain color,
pattern
* have an archive which could contains various files using the allready
existing file format for the various ressource

I see two problems of the first solution, the first one is that it means to
spend time writting specification for gradient and it's not really possible
to store pattern in a XML file.

And in fact I don't really see a need for a specification, nor limiting the
type of files in the archive. But having a mime-type that the various
application could recognize as a "swatch" (aka a "ressource archive"), and
then they would just load the ressource they can load, and ignore the others.

--
Cyrille Berger